- Mattole Forest Defenders Erect Monopod to Block Access Road, Several People Arrested https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/17/mattole-forest-defenders-erect-monopod-to-block-access-road-in-prmattole-forest-defenders-erect-monopod-to-block-access-road-several-people-arrested/
- Prisoners and Activists Stop New Prison on Coal Mine Site in Kentucky https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/14/prisoners-and-activists-stop-new-prison-on-coal-mine-site-in-kentucky/
- Office Demonstration Disrupts Humboldt Redwood Co. Offices to Demand Safety for Treesitter https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/14/office-demonstration-disrupts-humboldt-redwood-co-offices-to-demand-safety-for-treesitter/
- Greenpeace Activists Halt BP’s North Sea Oil Rig https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/13/greenpeace-activists-halt-bps-north-sea-oil-rig/
- ALF Arson at Police Dog Training School (Germany) https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/13/alf-arson-at-police-dog-training-school-germany/
- Hornography: The Faux-Frontier World of Manufactured Deer and Canned Hunting in Texas https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/13/hornography-the-faux-frontier-world-of-manufactured-deer-and-canned-hunting-in-texas/
- German Boat Captain Faces 20 Years in Prison For Saving Refugees https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/12/german-boat-captain-faces-20-years-in-prison-for-saving-refugees/
- Thoughts from Rook, Tree Sitter on Long Ridge https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/12/thoughts-from-rook-tree-sitter-on-long-ridge/
- After Escaping a Kansas Zoo, Fugitive Flamingo Seen in Texas for the Second Time in 14 Years https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/12/after-escaping-a-kansas-zoo-fugitive-flamingo-seen-in-texas-for-the-second-time-in-14-years/
- Conflict Intensifies in Mattole Forest as Tree Sit is Erected and Elders Are Arrested https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/11/conflict-intensifies-in-mattole-forest-as-tree-sit-is-erected-and-elders-are-arrested/
- El Salvador Legislative Assembly Declares “Forests Are Living Entities” https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/11/el-salvador-legislative-assembly-declares-forests-are-living-entities/
- Forest Defenders Head to Woods to Defend Mattole Forest From Loggers and Paramilitary Security https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/09/forest-defenders-head-to-woods-to-defend-mattole-forest-from-loggers-and-paramilitary-security/
- Extreme Flooding Across Midwest ‘Exactly In Line’ With Scientific Warnings of Climate Crisis https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/06/extreme-flooding-across-midwest-exactly-in-line-with-scientific-warnings-of-climate-crisis/
- Free the Soil: Mass Action to Shut Down YARA Fertilizer Plant in Germany, September 19-25 https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/06/free-the-soil-mass-action-to-shut-down-yara-fertilizer-plant-in-germany-september-19-25/
- Why We Need to Stand Up for Earth Defenders this World Environment Day https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/05/why-we-need-to-stand-up-for-earth-defenders-this-world-environment-day/
- Gullah-Geechee Community: Hear Us On Climate Change https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/05/gullah-geechee-community-hear-us-on-climate-change/
- The Sateré-Mawé Move to Reclaim Amazon Ancestral Lands from Invaders https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/05/the-satere-mawe-move-to-reclaim-amazon-ancestral-lands-from-invaders/
- Conflicts Over Logging Intensify in Mattole Forest https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/04/conflicts-over-logging-intensify-in-mattole-forest/
- Act for Truth: Reportback From Extinction Rebellion LA https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/04/act-for-truth-reportback-from-extinction-rebellion-la/
- Water Protectors Lock Down to Stop Line 3 Construction, as Enbridge Seeks Water Crossing Permits https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/03/water-protectors-lock-down-to-stop-line-3-construction-as-enbridge-seeks-water-crossing-permits/
- Earth First! Journal Tour Updates https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/06/03/earth-first-journal-tour-updates/
- Mass die-offs of puffins in Alaska may be linked to climate change https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/05/31/mass-die-offs-of-puffins-in-alaska-may-be-linked-to-climate-change/
- CALL TO ACTION: JUNE 15 – Unist’ot’en/Wet’suwet’en Frontline Solidarity Request https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/05/31/call-to-action-june-15-unistoten-wetsuweten-frontline-solidarity-request/
- Buffalo Field Campaign Update: Another Season Winds Down with Calves Thriving https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/05/31/buffalo-field-campaign-update-another-season-winds-down-with-calves-thriving/
- “Freedom Gas”: The Trump Administration’s Ridiculous New Plan to Rebrand Fossil Fuels https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/05/30/freedom-gas-the-trump-administrations-ridiculous-new-plan-to-rebrand-fossil-fuels/
- Yellow Finch Tree Sitters Hold Strong as Police and Pipeline Company Attempt Eviction https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/05/30/yellow-finch-tree-sitters-hold-strong-as-police-and-pipeline-company-attempt-eviction/
- A forest beset by oil palms, logging, now contends with a coal-trucking road https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/05/30/a-forest-beset-by-oil-palms-logging-now-contends-with-a-coal-trucking-road/
An unofficial (bot) posting content from earthfirstjournal.org
"We can't engage as communities, unless we have money. I can't even express how angry this makes me."
- an activist group using Facebook. People and organisations who feel this way are our initial targets.
We are launching two new Mastodon instances for activists and campaigners to aid communication of grassroot groups; putting social media back in our hands by providing a free, unfettered home for campaigners, NGO’s and activists to communicate among their peers and beyond.
This project is a way out of the restricted, algorithmic, for-profit mediation and commercialisation of communication we increasingly experience. If you do not pay to "boost" each post, a Facebook page will only reach 3-6% of members. This soon becomes an expensive drain on limited NGO and activist budgets.
Activists and campaigners alike are ready to shift their outreach away from the corporate social networks paid-per-view “walled gardens”.
Mastodon is the worlds largest free open source decentralised microblogging network; it’s thousands of unique, interconnected communities, filled with different people, interests, languages, and needs.
You’re free to join any community you like, or better yet, host your own, on your own terms. It remains possible for members of each to instance to interact with others.
There is no monopoly by a single commercial company, no ads, and no tracking.
We aim to help activism/campaigning groups to make this step now.
A note on Security and Privacy - these take a somewhat different shape within the #openweb. Have a read about our thoughts on the matter.