I wonder what would happen if you could convince all #f***book users to befriend each other...
Let's see their algorithms and data-mining monkeys handle that
when you think about it, do you _own_ your phone? can you change parts of it?
or are you just it's custodian?
this also goes for anything you own with silicon chips inside...
Goal of Environmental Movement
For those of you who find this relevant:
An important story - scratching the surface of a truly remarkable species https://www.inverse.com/article/47833-hiroshima-gingko-trees-atomic-bomb
Once a factory where workers worked, lived and prayed. Now a hacker colony, where people live, work and play.
#calafou a little colony of hackers in the mountains of Catalonia, about an hour away from barcelona.
DNA ancestry testing company deputizes itself, starts pitching genetic matching services to law enforcement
MT @FaiMujer@twitter.com [Indigenous Anarchist Federation, I merged 4 posts]:
Matika Wilbur's Fierce Resistance Against 100 Years of Native American Misrepresentation: Project 562 documents an unprecedented 562 #Indigenous nations oral history to ensure Native stereotypes are replaced with accurate data in order to change history.
“I’m ultimately doing this because our perception matters,” she says. “Our perception fuels racism. It fuels segregation. Our perception determines the way we treat each other.”
Wilbur rejects the photo journalism edict, 'You should look like my idea of who you are.' This is social justice, it's image justice. It's people having the right to participate in their own image construction.
Wilbur describes famed Edward Curtis' Native American photographs: "It's a white supremacist fantasy."
Google is bringing AMP to Gmail not for your convenience or to increase speed, but to change your mailbox into a platform for marketers so that the ads jump into your face. Better switch to an email service that respects your right to privacy. 😉
5 Reasons why AMP for email is bad: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/amp-email-bad-idea/
pretty cool from the looks of it.
...for open source developers at least :)
- Recent Study Highlights importance of Intact Forests in Fight Against Climate Change https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/03/21/recent-study-highlights-importance-of-intact-forests-in-fight-against-climate-change/
- Report Shows Banks Vastly Increased Financing Fossil Fuels Across the Globe https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/03/22/report-shows-banks-vastly-increased-financing-fossil-fuels-across-the-globe/
- Statement of Western Watersheds Project on National Wolf Delisting Proposed Rule https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/03/14/statement-of-western-watersheds-project-on-national-wolf-delisting-proposed-rule/
- BC Oil and Gas Comission Issues Misleading Statement on Unist’ot’en Archaeological Findings https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/03/14/bc-oil-and-gas-comission-issues-misleading-statement-on-unistoten-archaeological-findings/
- Judge upholds Line 5 tunnel law despite ‘constitutional defect’ https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/03/14/judge-upholds-line-5-tunnel-law-despite-constitutional-defect/
- Will China’s Refusal to Keep Processing the West’s Recycling Force Us to Clean Up Our Act, Or Are We Just Going to Burn A Lot of Trash Now? https://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2019/03/18/will-chinas-refusal-to-keep-processing-the-wests-recycling-force-us-to-clean-up-our-act-or-are-we-just-going-to-burn-a-lot-of-trash-now/
We blamed the jews, the mexican immigrants, the middle east "terrorists", the gays, the blacks, and just about every other minority group there is. How bout we blame the billionaires and politicians who are screwing over our economy, our society and our planet. Maybe then we can actually get something done. #anticapitalist #ancom #anarchocommunism
I guess if you really want to see the face of surveillance capitalism, you should simple read the news from this week:
Get away from those guys who think your life is worth around $20 per month when you give up everything…
"We can't engage as communities, unless we have money. I can't even express how angry this makes me."
- an activist group using Facebook. People and organisations who feel this way are our initial targets.
We are launching two new Mastodon instances for activists and campaigners to aid communication of grassroot groups; putting social media back in our hands by providing a free, unfettered home for campaigners, NGO’s and activists to communicate among their peers and beyond.
This project is a way out of the restricted, algorithmic, for-profit mediation and commercialisation of communication we increasingly experience. If you do not pay to "boost" each post, a Facebook page will only reach 3-6% of members. This soon becomes an expensive drain on limited NGO and activist budgets.
Activists and campaigners alike are ready to shift their outreach away from the corporate social networks paid-per-view “walled gardens”.
Mastodon is the worlds largest free open source decentralised microblogging network; it’s thousands of unique, interconnected communities, filled with different people, interests, languages, and needs.
You’re free to join any community you like, or better yet, host your own, on your own terms. It remains possible for members of each to instance to interact with others.
There is no monopoly by a single commercial company, no ads, and no tracking.
We aim to help activism/campaigning groups to make this step now.
A note on Security and Privacy - these take a somewhat different shape within the #openweb. Have a read about our thoughts on the matter.